About Me

Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Fellow Scholars (Part II)

I spent the last five days at Lake Barkley Resort in Kentucky. I attended the McNair Scholars Boot Camp where McNair Scholars from several institutions gathered to learn the "in's and out's" of graduate school.

Not only did I gain valuable information about graduate school, but I networked with other McNair Scholars and ultimately connected with my CMU cohort even more. The focus of this blog post is dedicated to my 2013 CMU McNair Scholars, or my McNair Peeps, as I like to refer to them as.

I do not have special names or some use of symbolism to explain each scholar, but I do have a strong sense of comfort at the sound of each scholar's voice. That might sound odd, but each person's voice is very distinct and has become familiar to me through all of the challenging experiences and precious moments we have had.

I am strengthening my mental and physical abilities through the support of my fellow scholars. We have intellectual conversations and motivate one another to be healthy and fit. I have "work out buddies" now and I wouldn't be able to do this all without their help. I would especially like to thank Kim Whitney, Andrew Derry, Matthew Forbes, and Tara Vancil for all of their extra support and encouragement with becoming fit.

This last week at boot camp, I really got to connect with a few of my fellow scholars that I hadn't had the opportunity to do so before. I had such a great time and experienced so much joy and laughter! We made memories that I will not forget. Such as taking a ~20 mile detour so we didn't have to cross a bridge. ;-) Playing table tennis, arcade games, air hockey, and billiards while building friendships. Also, sitting through long informative seminars geared towards graduate school. I am not hesitant to say this after our Kentucky trip: my 2013 cohort is like a large family. We can all bring our top strengths to the table and we are an impressive group.

No comments:

Post a Comment